Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sweet Chin Music

Patrick Swayze died. So this blog will be dedicated to dancing in a way. Here are my top 20 most influential bands of all time. I know this guy may have been very influential, but he isn't a band, so don't worry, he's still dead and will not be resurrected in this list. This list was composed by myself and Matt Rizzini, so a lot of this credit goes to him, a wonderful friend and an even better list picker numberer guy. Let's get to work.

20. Asher Roth - What a long lived career. You want potential? I'll show you potential. This guy/band/rapper made his career on stating the obvious. Yes. He loved college. Most people do. Was "I Love College" a funny/witty song the first two or three times the world heard it? Yes. Is "I Love College" now a song that only the loner/tool/wannabe guido kids blast in their crappy souped up cars down main streets all over the country? Yes. Way to go Asher, if that's even your real name.

19. Paramore - I have to give them credit. This band is one of those bands that successfully became a "I actually do like them but I can't tell anyone, maybe I should change the band name on my ipod so my friends don't see it on there under artists". I call shenanigans on this. Paramore is good. Tell me that 'Misery Business" isn't a good song and I'll tell you that you're wrong. Everyone knows they know all the words, don't even get me started on 'Crushcrushcrush' and 'That's What You Get'. WhoooooaaaaaaoooohhhhhhhhhhhOhhhhhohhhhhoooooohhhhhhhhh. P.S. The leadsinger is one of my favorite redheads of all time, besides Wade Zawatsky (you'll be hearing more of him later).

18. Yael Naim - Warning, listen to the first 30 seconds of this song and you will have it stuck in your head for the next 3 weeks. That's impressive.

17. Journey - I think Journey is underrated. 'Don't Stop Believing' is probably one of the most influential songs ever. Just look at it's title. Don't. Stop. Believing. Can that be any more influencing? Although they may have broken up, generations upon generations are touched by the smell of wine and cheap perfume. It also helps to have hair like this while you're in your prime.

16. Panic! At the Disco - It's rare to have an exclamation point in the middle of your name. It's also more rare to breakup but keep on touring with blink-182 when your band consists of a lead singer and a drummer. It's also weird to start of a song with the lyrics "what a beautiful wedding", when its called 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies'. Everything about this band is weird, from ripping off Fall Out Boy to just looking like women.

15. The White Stripes - This is legit, because the White Stripes truly are a great band. The reason why they are influential however is because they fooled the world. No one knew what they were. Brother and sister? I don't know. Husband and wife? I don't know. Father and daughter? Maybe. Since I love rumours as much as Hans Landa does, I'll tell you the truth. They were married and then got divorced, but kept the band going, thank god.

14. Fountains of Wayne - Influential because for a solid two years, for me it was during the 7th and 8th grade, this band made every girl in the country named Stacy want to commit suicide.

13. Cobra Starship - Influential because they started out as a complete joke, sort of like what they wear. They right songs about being the hottest stuff out since tobasco, and they actually became popular. Look at them now. Cracked the itunes top 10 songs of the week with a song about good girls going bad. They went from a complete joke to partying with Leighton Meester. Living the American dream.

12. Kid Rock - Can anyone else do rock/rap better than Kid Rock? Makes a song entitled 'Bawitdaba' and all of a sudden he's hooking up with Pam Anderson. Sorta like Tommy Lee. Well anyways, he coined himself the "American Bad Ass" and I think it's true. I'm leaving out his new side which is mostly country. But nonetheless, he is still influential. Having self confidence is great. Being called an American Bad Ass because you wrote a song about it is even better.

11. Eminem - The great white hope. The man disses everyone including his own mother, and he doesn't even get grounded. If I even thought about thinking about dissing Mama Kirwan I'd get booted from my house. This man is nuts. Sure he hasn't done much recently besides that music video that got Mariah Carey mad, but still, he gives white people a chance to dream. Watch, white people will start taking over the rap business, then the NBA, then the NFL, then the NHL. Actually, I think we're fine with the NHL. Nevermind.

10. Lemon Lime Tennis Shoes - Wade Zawatsky, this is for you. I met Wade when I was a freshmen at East Providence High School. At the time he was in a band called Lemon Lime Tennis Shoes. After befriending him and having a class with him two years later, I finally asked him why they are called what they are called and his response was, "Well, basically the lead singer and the guitarist looked around one day when thinking about a band name and saw a can of sprite and sneakers. He then said, let's be Lemon Lime Tennis Shoes". LLTS is the greatest band to ever come out of the great state of Rhode Island. If they can make it somewhat big with a name like this, anyone can. Influential my friends, influential. Thank you Wade. (BTW, Wade is the red headed stepchild who can be seen in the picture barely visible behind the lead singer).

9. Hanson - How many other bands of three prepubescent brothers do you know can go out and write a song that has too many consonants in it? MMMBop. What did girls see in these guys in the mid 90's? I don't know either.

8. Limp Bizkit - Ahhhhhh Fred Durst. What a guy. Dropping hit after his like "Give Me Stuff To Break" and "Rollin'". The Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water is still to this day one of my favorite album titles of all time. Rap and rock may not always go together but Fred Durst made it work. To tell you the truth, looking upon it now, I really can't tell you what one of their songs were about. Love? Prosperity? Oh well, it doesn't matter.

7. Mysto and Pizzi - I know, you haven't heard of them. But, have you heard them? You sure have. Do you remember when? Probably not until you remember when it was right here. Maybe you've even seen them, because they've seen you.

6. Yellowcard - Inspiring electric violinists all across the world so actually do something with a talent most kids complain about learning. 'Ocean Avenue' was such a hit during the 8th grade and freshmen year. It is the ultimate summer song. It only takes me one finger to count the number of songs I know with a violin solo in it. And it is by Yellowcard. Yay Yellowcard.

5. Gorillaz - A band of cartoons. Brilliant. How come no one thought of this before? Sure maybe Josie and the Pussy Cats were kind of there, but did they ever have a number 1 billboard hit? Nope. The Gorillaz sure did. By the way, years later, I was shocked to learn that basically the Gorillaz were created by Blur, which is the band behind this hit. Now it makes sense. Almost the same exact voice in both bands. You learn something new every day now don't you kids?

4. Hawthorne Heights - Emo. Great hair. That's about it to describe them. It may be true that "Ohio is For Lovers" is there only known song, but just take a look at some of the lyrics. "So cut my wrist and black my eyes/so I can fall asleep tonight, and die". Doesn't that brighten up your day? If there is one band that can just ruin a day, it's probably Double H. The one thing I always wondered about them was what made them so upset? I just can't grasp what could possibly make them so sad and depressing.

3. Taking Back Sunday/Brand New - Don't get me wrong. I love both TBS and Brand New a lot. I do appreciate their old stuff when they were whining about girls and feuding with each other. 'Cute Without the E' and 'Seventy Times 7' are probably two of my favorite songs of all time, and basically they are about cheating, and having your girlfriend cheat on you with your best friend, respectivly. I don't know what that says about myself personally, maybe I have some problems. But these bands have developed from emo to legit bands now. I will admit I'm not crazy about Brand New's new cd 'Daisy' but I do understand that they want to grow and experiment with different things. Taking Back Sunday live is an experiment that everyone on this planet should consider doing. Having a whole House of Blues singing every lyric to every song for a whole night like what happened in Boston this past June was an experience I'll never forget. Influential for me? Yes.

2. Eddie Money - 'Take Me Home Tonight'. If anyone sees me out and about at a party, or anywhere for that matter, and blasts this song before I do, I will personally buy you a drink. I consider this a challenge for all you people reading this blog. Just try to play Eddie Money before I do at a party. Try me. Eddie Money was a former cop named Eddie Mahoney. Clever to take out the 'ah' in your last name and christen yourself Eddie Money. Ah. Words can't describe 'Take Me Home Tonight'. Each time I hear it I get chills down my spine. What a guy.

1. Sonseed - There really is no comparision when it comes to Jesus and music. I'm not going to go any further. All you have to do is listen to the words Sonseed says in this video, and you will know why they are the most influential band of all time.

So that's about that. I do want to add one more exciting thing. In addition to myself, Matt and Matt, we now have a fourth roommate. I now will grace all of you with Marvin the Moonman (aka the Cox communications guy). This is going to be a swell year.


No comments:

Post a Comment