Monday, August 31, 2015

The Live 5 #2

Great news gang: I now have a working laptop to actually write stuff with! To celebrate this momentous occasion, I'm gonna give you 5 live performances from bands you will either love or hate.

5. Silversun Pickups "Kissing Families"- Weird song title, but a great song and even if it's on Carson Daly's talk show (lol), it's a great performance.  I always remember being stunned when I learned the lead singer was a dude who purposely tries to sing with a high falsetto, but whatever works, right?  I'm sure many of you haven't heard of this song and would rather listen to 'Lazy Eye' or 'Panic Switch', but if you check this bad boy out, you might have a new favorite Silversun Pickup tune.


4. Rage Against The Machine "Bulls On Parade"- Now, Woodstock 99 very well might have been one of the biggest disasters in the history of festivals.  It was a literal shitshow, with the likes of Limp Bizkit, Insane Clown Posse, Kid Rock (pre-country days, you know, bawitdaba), Korn and Sheryl Crow playing to incite a raucous crowd.  Wait.  Yeah, I just double checked.  Sheryl Crow actually played Woodstock 99.  That's weird.  Anyways, one of the bright spots was this performance of Bulls on Parade by the always controversial Rage Against the Machine.  Yeah, they may have gotten more press for burning the American flag on stage later on in the set, but before that happened they played this song and it was pretty good, so here ya go:




3.The Strokes "Hard To Explain" - One of the best Strokes songs ever.  It may not have the same popularity of 'Last Nite', 'Someday' or 'Reptilia', but this is a song that will make you start humming along or drumming on a table.  It's also pretty nice that they didn't have to rip off Tom Petty or Queen for a change!



2. Wavves "Bug" - With their 5th album out next month, gotta give Wavves some love.  Wavves opened me up into a lot of different music back in college, so they can't do anything wrong in my book.  It's interesting seeing a bad grow up like they have, and also scary since they aren't that much older than I am.  I couldn't get any live footage of their new songs (I think they start touring next week) but here is my favorite Wavves song to date, 'Bug'.



1. FIDLAR "I Just Wanna Die" - Yeah, I try hard to promote FIDLAR.  They have a new album coming out this week and I'm pretty pumped for it.  To celebrate that, I'm giving you a song that will probably never make it to the album.  I think it's just a one off song that they did for funsies and decided to just put it up with youtube and play it at a couple of shows.  I was v excited to find a live version of it, so here ya go.  It's a fun song although I'm sure the actual meaning isn't too fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment